Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Embroidery Shmroidery





Embroidery is a skill most people would find super easy if they've ever done even a little sewing. Unfortunately, many people never try it. I just learned a couple years ago. The first thing to try is a stitch sampler. This serves as a quick reference guide for all the stitches you know. Mine's pretty small, but I have the straight stitch, back stitch, loop stitch, split stitch, stem stitch, blanket stitch, french knots and some lazy daisy pedals. The back stitch is the one I use most often, because it creates a solid outline.

The carrot was my first embroidery project. I used a Aunt Martha iron transfer. They're great if your into adorable embroidered tea towels and day of the week cats. Usually with embroidery you embroider over guide lines that are on your canvas/cloth. 

The bird is a sample of over embroidery. This is just what it sounds like, embroidery over a printed image. Pretty simple and looks awesome. 

The last project is an embroidered picture of my dog, Yaffa! I drew a picture of her on paper, then traced the reversed image with a heat transfer  marker (there are also heat transfer pencils). Heat transfer markers are rad, because you can embroider your own designs. Her bandana is filled in with a satin stitch, but the rest of her is made with the back stitch.

nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment